Monday, January 22, 2007

Scott, the National Geographic Society has a very interesting DNA project going on tracing ancient ancestral migrations. Men can trace either their maternal or paternal lines. Because women do not have a Y (male) chromosome, they can trace only their maternal line. It's easy to participate and involves swabbing in the mouth just like the test you did. Cost is $100. I enrolled for my maternal line. It might answer questions about where our paternal line originated. We do match the Nordic catagory. Vikings invaded the British Isles, so that's one possibility.

I've wondered if T.A. was descended from old South Henry. That may have been the embarassment T.A. had in his closet. Henry is supposed to have had 20 children, I think the last one was born when he was in his 80's. Story is that Henry was old and so poor, with so many kids, even the pillagers with General Cornwalis had instructions to leave them alone. Carol

2 comments:

Scott Hendricks said...

It's interting that you say we are Nordic. In the Family Tree DNA report that I got is that my line comes from England/Holland as the closest possibilities.


Here's what the 37 marker matches show for the closest associations:

37 Marker Y-DNA Matches
Two Step Mutations

Country (Number of Entries):
England (4347) Holland (35)

Comment: Eng 0 Holland o

Your Matches: Engl 1 Holland 1

This shows that I have 1 match to England and 1 match to Holland. These were the only matches that they gave me.

Scott

carol wilson said...

The term "Nordic" seems to have been attached to the I haplotype because it is prevelent in the Nordic countries. During the ice age, European humans were stranded in several isolated groups in Southern Europe. As the ice melted, the group that developed into the I1a subtype spread into the present area of France and Spain, up the Atlantic seaboard, into Denmark, England, and the Scandanavian countries. The I Haplotype is called "Nordic" but they settled a larger area than the Scandanavian countries.